I Phonetics (5 points)
Directions: In each of the following groups of words, there are four underlined letters or letter combinations marked A, B, C and D. Compare the underlined parts and identify the one that is different from the others in pronunciation. Mark your answer by blackening the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
1. A consume B contain C confess D concept
2. A magnet B digital C signature D angry
3. A though B thorough C through D thought
4. A explain B extent C exhausted D expand
5. A needed B trained C borrowed D deserved
II Vocabulary and Structure (15 points)
Directions: There are 15 incomplete sentences in this section. For each sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose one answer that best completes the sentence and blacken the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
6. Grandma told the story in a very sad ____ and we were all moved.
A tune B tongue C ton D tone
7. The guide is ____ a line of tourists through the narrow passage with the help of his torch.
A concluding B containing C conducting D conquering
8. With its expensive furniture and carefully ____ color scheme, the room looked quite luxurious.
A choose B chose C chosen D choosing
9. Sorry, but we cannot go to San Diego. Our cousins ____ to see us next Sunday.
A come B are coming C have come D came
10. Anne couldn’t fine a taxi, so I offered ____ her to the station.
A drive B to drive C driving D have driven
11. Perhaps the days will come ____ people will be able to breathe clean air in cities.
A when B as C while D sine
12. ____ when he saw his wife’s face did Tom realize the true meaning of her remark.
A Just B Never C Only D Usually
13. The flyover at the crossing on the 6th ring road is now ____ construction.
A under B in C at D with
14. Time ____, we will arrange for the tourists to visit two or three more remote spots of culture value.
A permits B permitting C permitted D to be permitted
15. To my surprise, ____ turned out that Susan failed in the examination.
A this B what C it D as
16. Jenny is the only one of the grade who ____ selected to school fashion-show team.
A is B are C has D have
17. If I had more time, I would ____ golf as a hobby.
A take in B take on C take up D take over
18. The football match was televised ____ from the Berlin Olympic Stadium.
A live B alive C living D lively
19. The bus is late and Julie is cold. She ____ for the bus for 10 minutes.
A waits B waited C has waited D has been waiting
20. The more fruits and vegetables you eat, ____ chance of getting cancer you have.
A little B less C the less D the least